Wednesday, June 10, 2020

Monster House (GBA, 2006)

Rating: 8.5/10
I really enjoyed the movie and this game a lot (big thanks to Dongled for letting me know this existed <3)! I spent a good week or so playing it and I fell in love with it immediately. It plays like Sweet Home (minus the RPG elements), The Legend of Zelda, and Resident Evil (which was originally going to be a remake of Sweet Home); which might not sound like a combination anyone has ever thought of, but developers Artificial Mind & Movement (now Behaviour Interactive) made it work. The soundtrack gives away this really eerie vibe like the one in the film, the sprites are very well made, and the lighting really fits the survival horror theme, which is a bit surprising for the Game Boy Advance.


Pros:
+ Neat sprites for both the main characters and enemies
+ A gloomy, but good soundtrack
+ Puzzles that take a lot of thought
+ Hidden goodies that are rewarding to find


Cons:
- Enemy hitboxes are bit of a problem (the candles)
- Stairs and elevators are not marked on the map
- There aren’t a lot of save rooms on each floor, so make sure to use them often for a respawn point and to refill your water (wasn’t a problem for me, but it isn’t for every gamer)


Final Thoughts:
Monster House is a perfect game for fans of the Game Boy Advance and survival horror fans alike. It isn’t without its flaws (those damned candles!) and I would have given it a 9 or a 10 on my rating scale, but they’re so minor that the game stays at 8.5. Closer to a 9, but not far from an 8. Would I recommend Monster House? YES! If you think it interests you, definitely give it a try, if you can. I hope my mini-review persuaded you a little. And definitely watch Dongled’s review if you want a more in-depth review and gameplay.

No comments:

Post a Comment