Wednesday, June 10, 2020

Shovel Knight: Shovel of Hope (PS Vita, 2014)


Rating: 10/10
This was “technically” my second time playing Shovel Knight and I enjoyed it like I did back in 2017. The only reason I didn’t beat the game three years ago was because life got in the way. There’s just so much about this game to love! From the NES-style graphics, level design, to just having the right amount of tedium to be difficult, but fair. Like most NES games, it has a simple story, but who needs a complex story for a platformer? The plot isn’t worth caring about until the last three levels in my opinion, but that’s due to a twist. Also if you play a PSN version of the game, you get to battle Kratos from God of War. Defeating him earns you some great armor that’s kind of hard to explain what it does if you haven’t played a God of War game.


Pros:
+ Amazing sprites
+ The level design is incredible and is very reminiscent of a title from the 8-bit era
+ Loots of hidden goodies and even a Yacht Club logo Easter egg
+ The soundtrack is fantastic!


Cons:
- Some areas can be difficult if you’re going for 100% completion, like I did


Final Thoughts:
Shovel Knight: Shovel of Hope is a gem nevertheless, but I couldn’t have expected anything less from former WayForward members. I knew about this game when it was still being crowdfunded and I still regret not backing this game. There aren’t many things to complain about with this game. Enemy hitboxes and even Shovel Knight’s own hitbox are perfect, the game is never messy or ugly, and the writing is good. Even the NPCs are creative. If you couldn’t tell, I highly recommend playing Shovel Knight by any means necessary! Even if you aren’t a retro gamer like I am, I’m sure you’ll have fun playing Shovel Knight. I will be playing all three expansions for the game, so stay tuned for those reviews.

No comments:

Post a Comment