Friday, June 19, 2020

Monument Valley (Android, 2014)



Rating: 7/10
This was an unexpected playthrough. Monument Valley was nowhere in my backlog. So why did I suddenly play this? Because the sequel was on sale for free! I played Monument Valley 2 for a few minutes and realized that that I should probably get the first game. A month and some change later and here I am.

Monument Valley is an extremely short game; only having ten levels and coming to an hour and a half on HLTB. Don’t let that make you think this is an easy game… well it kind of is. Monument Valley is a puzzle game that utilizes the gimmick of optical illusions. The puzzles were pretty easy, for the most part. I didn’t really have a problem until the last two levels, and even then it was a matter of noticing the illusion.

There is a plot, albeit cryptic. It’s very loose and I didn’t understand it until I used Google. As of writing this, I don’t remember the main character’s name… Ida is a “thieving princess” who stole the sacred geometry. Since the sacred geometry is gone, Ida must return it and break a curse put on her people. Or at least that’s what I could make sense of from a forum post.



















Pros:

+ The puzzle design was interesting
+ The scenery was really pretty
+ The soundtrack was ambient and each mechanism makes a sound

Cons:
- There could have been a tutorial
- A hint option would have been nice
- The puzzles aren’t very difficult


Final Thoughts:
Overall Monument Valley was an okay game. There wasn’t anything too captivating to me, and honestly it was kind of boring once you figured out what to do. It might just be a me thing. Do I recommend Monument Valley? Not really. It was an okay experience, but there isn’t really anything that stands out. If it interests you and you have $3.99 to spare, play it, but don’t expect too much from it. Honestly just play FEZ instead.

Because of my completionist impulses, I’m going to play the two expansions. I’m almost done with Forgotten Shores, so I might have another review tomorrow~


No comments:

Post a Comment