Friday, June 19, 2020

Monument Valley: Forgotten Shores (Android, 2014)



Rating: 8/10
Monument Valley: Forgotten Shores is one of two expansions for Monument Valley, a mobile puzzle game from 2014. What is the thieving princess up to this time? To be honest I’m not really sure. Seeing as how Ida is still a human, I guess this takes place during the main game. It’s never fully stated, but the main game isn’t know for being plot heavy either.

I think I might have liked Forgotten Shores more than the main game. Forgotten Shores didn’t really have a plot like the main game, aside from one mention of the main game’s quest. Other than that, everything is conveyed through visuals, something I feel like should have happened in the main game.

Like the main game, Ida is restoring the sacred geometry. Along the way you face new puzzles for each level, her friend Totem, and a crow who steals Ida’s hat. The new puzzles were fun to learn. One thing I didn’t mention in my first review is that controlling the mechanisms are kind of clunky. It’s annoying at times, but it didn’t piss me off too much.




Pros:
+ Creative puzzles
+ Great for casual gamers
+ Visual storytelling

Cons:
- Finicky controls


Final Thoughts:
Forgotten Shores was pretty fun for me and I liked it more than the main game, though that isn’t saying much. The puzzles were fun and didn’t really get too challenging, and learning new mechanics on each level was fun for me as well. Just like the main game, I don’t really have much to talk about the game other than gameplay and the story. Which even then isn’t a lot. Do I recommend Forgotten Shores? Yes. I wish the main game was more like this, or they could have made Forgotten Shores a little bit longer. I didn’t play much of the second game, so I’m not sure if it’s any longer. I found a game similar to Monument Valley called Echochrome. I like the concept of Monument Valley, and I wonder if Echochrome did it better eight years prior.

I’ll try to release my review of Ida’s Dream tomorrow, if not Friday. Also because of “reasons” I had to pause my playthrough of Final Fantasy II for the time being, and I started Ys II.


No comments:

Post a Comment