Thursday, June 18, 2020

Shovel Knight: Specter of Torment (PS Vita, 2017)

image
Rating: 10/10
Once again, I don’t know how to talk about this campaign without sucking Yacht Club’s dick. Specter of Torment was a very pleasurable experience for me over the past week. Specter of Torment is a prequel to the base game (and Plague of Shadows to an extent) and it does that job well. So much so that I actually recommend playing this before Shovel of Hope. This goes unsaid, but Specter of Torment has new mechanics and supporting characters. Playing as Specter Knight was a blast with his Ninja Gaiden-esque controls. The whole soundtrack was redone with a Castlevania-like feel. The levels are completely new, and even the bosses have new moves.

Pros:
+ Virtually everything is redone to make anew experience for the player

Cons:
- Specter Knight’s health goes down fairly easily
- The gameplay is linear


Final Thoughts:
Out of the three Shovel Knight games I’ve played so far, I really enjoyed Specter of Torment the most! The story didn’t really pick up until the first flashback level. Yes, you even get to play through flashbacks. One of my favorite parts of the game was the shop. Whenever you purchase a new curios, there’s a level made to teach you how to use the selected item. I don’t have many things that I hated about the game. The only thing I “hated” was Specter Knight’s poor defense. It really wasn’t a problem until the final boss. So do I recommend this game? Hell yeah! If you haven’t played any of the Shovel Knight games, definitely play Specter of Torment first.

No comments:

Post a Comment